stormmonkieskm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The rantings of Grigori

+4
Specs
Wakko
ameiko
Bella
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The rantings of Grigori Empty The rantings of Grigori

Post  Bella Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:50 am

The below would happen in early May after your next kingdom phase. He would not say exactly what he says, but you get the picture of him and his rants.

Have fun... Twisted Evil
Bella
Bella
Admin

https://stormmonkieskm.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

The rantings of Grigori Empty Re: The rantings of Grigori

Post  ameiko Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:02 am

Down with Pythia and her group of thugs!

Public meeting tonight at Tuskberg’s Market to denounce the false and foolish so-called heroes who would call themselves our leaders! Where are they now? What have they done for us?

Defeated the Stag Lord? I halfway wonder whether there ever really was such a man. Surely, they brought a scarred head with a stag mask on it. Even if this Stag Lord was killed, who rules there now? Probably another bandit worse than the first! Or some savage beast not even human.

Sure, our wise leaders have built up this … and ……, and roads, but leading where? Nowhere! Where is their vision? They have done nothing themselves.

Even this new town in the woods, “Pe pe le Pew”, is no doing of theirs. It was the vision of Loy and Latricia Rezbin that established the town. They are turning the frog pond, once known for menace into a place of industry and hope. Where is our leadership? Why is it that the only leading being done around here is by you, the smallfolk. *murmurs of agreement*

Where are your leaders? What have they brought you? Where is their court? Where are they that we can find them when we need them? Are we savages that we kneel in the mud before our tiny queen as she sits on a throne before the fire, or tipping back a fine pint of ale in the tavern? Oh wait, we don’t HAVE a proper tavern! Lizardfolk, Trolls, giants… where does it end? Have any of you forgotten the recent killings?

Even if we ARE a kingdom in truth, what good is that, when an army could sweep down upon you unawares at any time and wipe us all off the map! We don’t have enough houses. Nearly two thousand souls gathered here, but where are the walls to defend us? Where is even a watchtower to give us warning when enemies approach? We don’t have a graveyard to bury our slaughtered dead, no dump to.

I ask again, what good have our leaders brought us? What taint have these foreigners brought among us? And what else have they brought us? WORK! Sure, we have work aplenty. Work to do for THEM. Logs, boards, nails, horseshoes, axes to fell more wood to saw into more boards to expand the weaver and the butcher, and for what, to make more boards and more axes!

Let’s not forget the recent mentions of a brothel! *murmurs of disgust from women*

Now, far be it from me to judge those who crave the pleasures of the flesh, but that flesh will not protect us when the wild folk beyond the hills and forests decide to take an interest in our little kingdom and see that we are sitting here undefended. Disorganized. No town hall. Leaders who are always wandering off “adventuring.” They are negligent in the extreme. They don’t care about you, or me, or any of us, or all of us.

Look, I’m not saying they are no good at anything. They’re handy with a sword, to be sure. If there’s killing that needs doing, they seem like the people for the job. But that’s just it; do you want a gang of thugs, of killers for hire, as your leaders? Don’t you deserve better? Don’t you deserve someone who really has your best interests at heart? Someone who doesn’t go around antagonizing the menaces that live in the dark places of the wilderness, raising up their ire, and then gallivanting off again on another errand, whether legitimate like their much-appreciated wolf hunt, or some fool’s errand of their own. Who will protect us against the hornet’s nests that they have stirred up? Bandits? Worgs? More werewolves? What’s next? Trolls? Unruly fey angried up by their depredations?

We need someone who will respect the will of the people and the wants and desires of the people. We need a queen… or a king… or SOMEONE to rule us as we deserve. Say it with me:

DOWN WITH THE QUEEN! DOWN WITH THE QUEEN! DOWN WITH THE QUEEN!

ameiko
ameiko

Back to top Go down

Post  Bella Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:27 am

Extra credit bonus: 200 gp to each player who actively helps resolve the situation. I will decide st the end of the topic who really participated.
Bella
Bella
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wakko Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:39 am

I say it's insurrection, treason at it's worst!!!

OOC: After I calm down, I say:

He makes some good points though, but even the most lawful of kingdoms has rules and laws.

I once had a fellow soldier who was always complaining about the condition of the latrines, and where they were placed, and how they always stunk. You know what they did? They made him in charge of the latrines. Let us say the complaints lessened.

Let us invite this fellow into our castle, to hear his honest and forthright council, so that he may be part of the solution, instead of the problem. Maybe we should offer him the position of mayor of Tuskburg. Set up a citizen's council for improving conditions and making suggestions for new businesses and commerce. At the very least, that should shut him up. Give him some honest work.

We should detect evil, just to make sure he is not an enemy agent. Maybe have Molly follow up on him. Do a background check.
Wakko
Wakko

Character sheet
class: Ranger
Race: Half Elf

Back to top Go down

Post  Specs Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:07 pm

This character seems a little suspicious to me. I am curious as to how he got info from our council meetings that i believe are supposed to be private discussions in a meeting chamber. We've done a fine job of taking care of any threat that has come to our city's doorstep and I would have words with this man if he continues this slandering of our leadership abilities.

Specs

Character sheet
class: Oracle
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post  Wedge Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:13 pm

I would not think that our meeting would be secret as a rule.

I think the first step is to find out everything we can about this Grigori. Where is he from? What does he do? Is he rich? Who are his friends? OOC:

I think Kyras's idea of co-opting Grigori into our government has a lot of merit. He seems to be the kind of politician that relies on rhetoric instead of logic to win popular support, promising the people all sorts of benefits that no one is capable of delivering. Forcing him formulate an actual policy could certainly 'lessen his complaining' as Kyras put it. However I have some concerns about this.

First: we have managed to operate without internal conflict in our counsel, so far, and I'm concerned that bringing in an outsider would end that. Second: once he is part of the government, Grigori is likely to take on the role as the political opposition. His rhetoric will become: 'I tried to make the government do the right thing but they just don't listen!' Then he'll continue with pretty much the same drivel he's spewing now except he'll have more access, visibility and authority.

Finally, if we offer him a position in government he may refuse and claim it a bribe to buy his silence. Which won't help us with the people.

We can start an election for some of seats on the government. Counselor for instance. That way we can have Svetlana run against Grigori and whoever wins will have the mandate of the people. We can also let the people choose the priority of the building they want - cemetery, dump, etc.

Alternatively we can start making our own speeches. Here are some talking points we can use:
  • Those who lived in this area before our group arrived, just 2 years ago, were under constant threat from bandits. That threat is now gone.
  • Grigori is promising you houses yet he rails against the lumber industry. What will the houses be mad of? Words and spittle?
  • We can build a court house, cemetery, and all that. And we will, just not all at once. The only way to build it all at once is raise your taxes. Who wants that? Besides Grigori, of course.
  • Grigori accuses us of going of to adventure instead of helping the people of our realm. Does saving Pip from being eaten by lizardmen not count as helping the people of our realm?
  • We have dealt with wolf threats to this region be they winter or were. And what was Grigori doing? Hiding under his bed.

We can have our friends - Svetlana, Oleg, Pip and her father - talk to the people and make those points as well.

Wedge

Character sheet
class: Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Wakko Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:21 pm

I agree with Wilberd.
Wakko
Wakko

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Bella Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:02 pm

(Ooc) he was not promising housing. Just complaining that there are not enough. Also it has only been 14 months since the start of the kingmaker adventure. You are welcome to speak out now as well.
Bella
Bella
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wedge Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:32 pm

I didn't mean that I was going to speak. Pythia, the bard, or whoever has a good diplomacy should do the talking.

Wedge

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Bella Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:59 pm

I actually meant you as in the party. Not you spacifically. Anyone can send me a draft for pythia. I can refine it and make the diplomacy check.
Bella
Bella
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Specs Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:36 pm

Theres always the slightly more drastic measure of actually filling the royal assassin role in the kingdom Twisted Evil

Specs

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Pythia Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:34 am

Specs wrote:Theres always the slightly more drastic measure of actually filling the royal assassin role in the kingdom Twisted Evil

That would be a temporary solution, with the high chances of us being more unpopular with the public, as he is gaining followers. Wilberd proposes an excellent idea, we should go for it unless there's anything else that needs to be added to his proposition. One more thing, we should at least try to find out how the information leak happened.
Pythia
Pythia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Bella Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:37 am

Shocked Wow.. it's great to see you Vash (as Pythia)!!! And Bo is the royal assassin.

If you are talking about the brothel info, Kyrass probably moved his bed to the land it would be built on with a sign that says: Brothel. Personally guarded by Kyrass (or something)

EDIT: and I assume that the posts you are posting are not out loud but with non verbal cues. Like the idea for the royal assassin would be a head nod to Bo, shoulder shrugs etc...

Last edited by Admin on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Bella
Bella
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ameiko Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:41 am

"Hi ho the gangs all here" he say as he points at you.

"Now we will see how far our rights really go. Going to arrest me now?" He says with a snear.
ameiko
ameiko

Back to top Go down

Post  Wedge Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:10 am

As far as I know, the only secret we have is the former werewoolf's identity. What secrets do you think Grigori learned? And what steps did we take to keep those secrets form getting out? That said, I would like to know what Grigori's goals are and if he's working with or for someone else. Spymaster?

For additional 'talking points': we should mention that according to the Rezbins the only reason they could found their city is because we cleared the Greenbelt of bandits. When it comes to exploration, we should point out that by learning and neutralizing the dangers in surrounding areas we are keeping the populace safer then any watchtower.

Grigori does make one good point - we have not articulated our plan for Tuskberg and FSG. We should say that we are working towards a 'measured, sustainable growth while maintaining stability' and that our philosophy is keep taxes low. We should stress that low tax part!

OOC: Shouldn't we be getting a kingdom status on a regular basis? I'm thinking statistics on crime (crimes reported, solved, and persecuted both in the city and in the country), demographics (are people moving into the kingdom or leaving? which hexes are effected?), economics(are there shortages or excess? is poverty rising or falling? are prices rising or falling? on which items?),politics (what do the people think they want?). We have been hearing a lot about the the need for a graveyard, a dump, a court house, etc. etc. but according to our kingdom stats our economy is great and stability and loyalty aren't too bad. Based those stats we don't need any of those building which is why we haven't been building them.

Wedge

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Wakko Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:21 am

grigori wrote:"Hi ho the gangs all here" he say as he points at you.

"Now we will see how far our rights really go. Going to arrest me now?" He says with a snear.

"We talk here in the public haunt of men: We should withdraw unto some private place, and reason coldly of your grievances, or else depart; here all eyes gaze upon us."

OOC: Love using Shakespeare when I can.
Wakko
Wakko

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Bella Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:29 am

WilberdGates wrote:As far as I know, the only secret we have is the former werewoolf's identity. What secrets do you think Grigori learned? And what steps did we take to keep those secrets form getting out? That said, I would like to know what Grigori's goals are and if he's working with or for someone else. Spymaster?

Grigori does not know anything that should be a secret (like the werewolf being cured and released). Molly will start to investigate him, but it will take a few hours. She can’t get the info during this speech. Possibly by the next speech. He gets on his soap box every other day or so. I will make the roles for her.

WilberdGates wrote: For additional 'talking points': we should mention that according to the Rezbins the only reason they could found their city is because we cleared the Greenbelt of bandits. When it comes to exploration, we should point out that by learning and neutralizing the dangers in surrounding areas we are keeping the populace safer then any watchtower.

Grigori does make one good point - we have not articulated our plan for Tuskberg and FSG. We should say that we are working towards a 'measured, sustainable growth while maintaining stability' and that our philosophy is keep taxes low. We should stress that low tax part!

Everyone can post a list of talking points and I will compile them into a possible speech for the party for Grigori’s next speech.

WilberdGates wrote: OOC: Shouldn't we be getting a kingdom status on a regular basis? I'm thinking statistics on crime (crimes reported, solved, and persecuted both in the city and in the country), demographics (are people moving into the kingdom or leaving? which hexes are effected?), economics(are there shortages or excess? is poverty rising or falling? are prices rising or falling? on which items?),politics (what do the people think they want?).

Most of this is beyond the scope of the adventure as it would take a lot to come up with this information on a monthly basis. Kingmaker will span years. Possibly in a single session if you concentrate on the Kingdom. That is a lot of (molly the milk maid had a cow stolen) to think up. I also do not want to get into inflation or deflation of prices. It is more realistic, but it also means I have to purposefully give or take BP from the kingdom to match the increase or decrease of prices. It would also affect the cost of building buildings as if prices go up, so does the cost to build.

For the size, it is the size of the kingdom X 250 + the population of the cities. The population of the city = 250 X the number of completed city block. There are 36 total for each grid.

I believe the kingdom is a size 5 so that is 1,250 living in the surrounding area. I know you have at least 8 blocks on your grid for another 2,000. That makes it a population of 3,250. If an event is rolled that effects the population in a negative way, or if something occurs that affects the grid and buildings of the kingdom, that is the only time I will consider the population to have gone down.

For economy, when you fail your role, there is a shortage, when you make it there is a boom or surplus. Events may affect this general rule.

WilberdGates wrote: We have been hearing a lot about the the need for a graveyard, a dump, a court house, etc. etc. but according to our kingdom stats our economy is great and stability and loyalty aren't too bad. Based those stats we don't need any of those building which is why we haven't been building them.

True. And I am not saying you need them. Molly mentioned a graveyard as there was nowhere to bury the bodies. Is it safe to assume that hey are currently taking bodies outside town to bury them?

Grigori is on a soapbox. People like him will create a negative where they do not exist. repeat the lie long enough and people believe it. The term “useful Idiots” comes to mind.

A speech for a rabble rouser needed to be written. The obvious things were used.
Bella
Bella
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bella Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:46 am

BTW. The book does mention that by the time you learn of him, unrest has increased by 2. Don't hate the messenger, shake your fist at the author. I am not sure is Kyrass's Shakespear speach meant he would like to talk to Grigori alone or not or if he said it out loud. You all are doing great so far!

Options mentioned so far
- try to talk to him.
- molly investigate
- use the royal assassin
- oppose his speach with talking points
- cant remember if anyone said arrest him

Any others?

*Edit: to the players not there the first time the kingdom building happened, there was an event where there were protests in the streets already. It was a random even that a stability check stopped at the time.
Bella
Bella
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wedge Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:19 pm

grigori wrote:"Hi ho the gangs all here" he say as he points at you.

"If your goal is truly the welfare of our citizens then you need not fear arrest or retribution. If, on the other hand, you're fermenting arrest in order to grab power or for the benefit of some other entities then you will be treated appropriates when we find out. And we will find out."

OOC: based on what your (Mike's) reply to my previous post, my understanding now is that things were going well and this current unrest is caused by Grigori's speeches and not actual problems in the kingdom.

Wedge

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Bella Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:22 pm

(ooc) you are correct. The current unrest is a direct result of Grigori and his rantings.
Bella
Bella
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wakko Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Admin wrote:BTW. The book does mention that by the time you learn of him, unrest has increased by 2. Don't hate the messenger, shake your fist at the author. I am not sure is Kyrass's Shakespear speach meant he would like to talk to Grigori alone or not or if he said it out loud. You all are doing great so far!

Options mentioned so far
- try to talk to him.
- molly investigate
- use the royal assassin
- oppose his speach with talking points
- cant remember if anyone said arrest him

Any others?

*Edit: to the players not there the first time the kingdom building happened, there was an event where there were protests in the streets already. It was a random even that a stability check stopped at the time.

I would have told that to him to get him to talk privately without raising a scene. I did put it in quotes. I would emphasize that he is not under arrest, but we do want to talk to him in private.
Wakko
Wakko

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Bella Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:19 pm

I saw the quotes but was not sure if they were there because you were quoting or speaking.

Thanks for clarifying.
Bella
Bella
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wedge Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:31 pm

Unless others disagree, our next building should be a park. It provides +1 to stability and -1 to unrest.

We would say that we support public discussions of issues that effect our city and state and are preparing an area where such discussions can take place. We'll put the park in front of the palace, next to the shrine.

Wedge

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Wakko Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:47 pm

I agree, then a tavern.
Wakko
Wakko

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post  Bella Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:45 pm

Do we want to say he rambles on for the day and then on his next speech you are more prepaired with anything molly finds or your talking points?
Bella
Bella
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum